Copyright UK Genealogy Online 2020        :        Back to Main Index

Llangain, Parish Church
Ordnance Survey Map Reference : SN156389
Parish Registers : Carmarthenshire Record Office
Baptisms 1807 - 1909
Marriages 1772 - 1837
Burials 1807 - 1834
Bishops Transcripts : National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
1672, 1679, 1681-83, 1694, 1696-99, 1701, 1703, 1707-09, 1711, 1713,
1717-18, 1720-27, 1729-47, 1749-62, 1765-70, 1772-88, 1790-1800,
1802-12, 1814-37, 1842-47, 1849-56, 1858-65. IGI chr 1740-1864

View Larger Map
Llangain Parish Register Images
1813-1912- Baptisms

Census Digital Images 1841-1901

Baptisms 1741- 1864
Marriages 1769 - 1837
Burials 1813 - 1874

Carmarthenshire Marriages 1754-1837
Burials 1813-1851
1901 Carmarthenshire Strays
Wills Index 1654-1858
Owners of Land 1873

1901 Census Digital Images
Llangain Community Website
Llangain Genuki
Llangain Wikipedia

Capel Smyrna, Llangain

Llangain War Memorial

Situated near the bank of the Afon Tywi, the parish extends from near Johnstown to Llansteffan in one direction and from Llangynog to the river in another and consists of very pleasant countryside with gentle hills reaching 350ft/105m (Trig Point) and stretches of woodlands. The parish encloses an area of almost 3,000 acres.

There are a few cromlechs or dolmens, the best examples being Meini Llwydion (Greystones) and Merlin's Quoits. They were communal burial places for family groups dating back to the Neolithic period (c.3000 BC).

Green Castle
Is a local landmark at the sharp bend on the B4312. The ruins of the impressive, late medieval residence still stand. It was never a castle but a residence built for the Reed family in the early 15th century and was in ruin in Elizabethan times. It is possible there had been some earthen fortification there at one time. Some believe this to be at Old Castle. Doubtless this would have been a motte and bailey. Until recent times ships used to lie at anchor below to off load onto lighter vessels for transport to Carmarthen.

In 1846 the only school was a Sunday School. Llangain Board School was built in 1875 and officially opened in 1876 and was in use until superseded by the new school in 1977.

Llangain Church - credit: Haydn Williams
The present church of St Cain was built in 1871. There is a beautiful tiled mural on either side of the altar in memory of the Gwyn family of Pilroath and Plas Cwrthir. An Elizabethan chalice is dated 1576.

Llangain Chapel - credit: Haydn Williams Chapel
The congregational chapel is a prominent landmark within the parish. Originally built in 1835, it was rebuilt in 1865 and restored in 1915. The white building provided stabling for horses during chapel services. The loft served as the vestry.

Was built in 1968 for Mr and Mrs E.J.Williams, retired farmers of Penycoed. Coedmor Avenue is named in recognition of their ownership of the land and the family's continuing local connection.

An old woollen mill which employed four full-time workers in its heyday. Llangain Mill / Factory closed in the 1940s.

Llwyn Du - credit: Haydn Williams Llwyndu
Llwyndu mansion was built in the first half of the 19th century. In 1821-1823 Captain Henry Harding lived there and it was afterwards the home of Frederick Philipps, JP. In 1906 the owner was Charles Bankes Davies. It has an upper and lower lodge. The original name for the upper lodge The Beeches, was Chweched meaning Sixth, indicating the six lanes.

Pilroath mansion is situated at the southern end of the parish above the confluence of the Rhoth Brook and the Afon Tywi. In 1902 the property was purchased by T J Harries, Esq. who built the present mansion. The property was occupied by the Harries family for three generations and owned until 1994 by County Cllr Arthur Harries, CBE, JP, MRCVS. The courtyard and outbuildings are now being adapted into a production base where films and TV programmes reflecting local life can be made.


A manor house dating back to 1723 and listed as a grade II building for its architectural and historic connection. Famous as a frequent childhood holiday retreat of the world renowned poet Dylan Thomas (1914-1953), it became immortalised in one of his best-known poems, Fernhill.
Fernhill is also known for its association with the notorious county hangman, Robert Rickets Evans who lived there at the turn of the century. His daughter was heiress to a fortune. He imprisoned her in a cell in the courtyard (which can still be seen today) to gain her fortune, but her lover helped her to escape, according to folklore.

Was a small cottage originally and once housed the Post Office and local sweet shop. It became a public house c.1979. The golf course opened in 1993.

Pantyrathro mansion was built by James Richards in the early 1800s. It was developed as a direct result of selling local milk products to London with the coming of the railway to Carmarthen. It became the local hotel in 1970.

Haydn Williams

<% Sub GenerateSearchOptions() Response.Write "" End Sub %>