Copyright UK Genealogy Online 2020         :        Back to Main Index


Llangunnor, St Cynnor, Parish Church
Ordnance Survey Map Reference : SN430203
Parish Registers : Carmarthenshire Record Office

Baptisms 1678 - 1817
Marriages 1678-1938, 1956-75
Burials 1678 - 1926
Bishops Transcripts : National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
1675, 1677-79, 1681-84, 1686, 1693-1700, 1702-05, 1708-09,
1712-13, 1717-22, 1724-36, 1738-41, 1744-1800, 1802-11, 1813-20,
1822-64, 1866-67

View Larger Map 
Llangunnor Parish Register Images

Llangunnor Parish Census Images 1841-1901

Carmarthenshire Marriages 1754-1837
Burials 1813-1851
1841 Census Index
1851 Census Index
1881 Census Index
1901 Carmarthenshire Strays
Wills Index 1654-1858
Owners of Land 1873

Philidelphia Independant Chapel Records 1836-1854

Llangunnor Community Website
Llangunnor Genuki
Llangunnor Wikipedia
Llangunnor Notes

Llangunnor Website
Llangunnor Community Website
True Life in the Parish Of Llangunnor


Historic Background

A large area that was formerly unequally divided between two commotes, and later lordships. Kidwelly commote, represented by Maenor Cunnor (Llangynwr parish), lay to the west, and Iscennen, represented by Maenor Vouwen (Llanarthne parish) lay to the east (Rees 1953, 174). The farm 'Ffos-y-ffin' records the presence of the boundary. Kidwelly had been in Anglo-Norman hands since c.1110 but Iscennen remained nominally independent, unlike the rest of Cantref Bychan, until 1284 (Rees 1953, xv). In 1327 Kidwelly passed to the House of Lancaster followed by Iscennen in 1340 (ibid.). Despite this duality of tenure, land management during the historic period appears to have been much the same in both parts of the area, which were held as Welshries during the Medieval period (Rees 1953, 220), though some possible ecclesiastical land is recorded as a field-name in the east of the area. In fact much of the higher land immediately to the south of this area was common pasture, part of Mynydd Kyvorth and Mynydd Ucha commons, the majority of which was enclosed by a number of private individuals - major freeholders such as the Stepneys, Morgans and Philippses - during the 16th- and early 17th-century as recorded in some detail in 1609 (Rees 1953, 243-9). It is thus probable that Area 185, with its smaller, more irregular fields, was enclosed at an earlier date, possibly in the form of later Medieval encroachments. There is, however, a hafod (seasonal pasture) place-name towards the west of the area, and a hendre place-name to the east. The tithe maps of Llangynwr (1842) and Llanarthne (1848) parishes depict the then pattern of enclosures and farms to be very similar to today's. To the east of the area, a former large, single holding, Penddaulwyn, mentioned in the late 17th-century, had split up into five separate farms by the late 18th-century (Jones 1987, 147), one of which was part of the Cawdor estate. Later development has been minimal, but industrial activity is represented by a substantial number of lead mines sunk to the west of the area near Cystanog.

Llangunnor, St Cynnor, Parish Church





<% Sub GenerateSearchOptions() Response.Write "" End Sub %>